Saturday 26 July 2008

Pretty wicked ...

From Evan H. E-mail: evanwilliam87(at sign)gmail.com
Click here for pictures.
Evan H, who grew up in Williams Lake BC and now lives in Sydney Australia, visited relatives and friends in BC earlier this summer. He writes:
I went out to the Stave area a few times before I had to go back to Sydney where I live. I was trying to get to Glacier Creek most of the time and on all of the outings some sort of factor got in the way. The first day I just kinda went walk-a-bout in the divide between Stave and Alouette Lake. Beautiful area. Found a collapsed cabin and another one that was in really good shape at the top of Alouette Lake. The next time I was out didn't get to far till I was scrambling down cliffs and just a bit of bad luck with the machete I was holding and I had to back track to get to a hospital. I had pretty wicked cut to the my finger but it was only six stitches to get it back together. The next week I took the canoe and was fine till I rounded the head onto the lake proper and then the wind was killer and had to turn back. The closest I did get was only to Moss Rock. So my next trip back to BC will have to be when I get it done.
79 Hill
I did do a lot of hiking around 79 Creek. I found a bit of gold around it too. I followed the creek to the headwaters looking for any evidence of placer work or hard rock but didn't see anything of interest in that respect. There was a very nice looking quartz pyrite ledge at the top at some exposed bedrock round the creek. I found a bit of gold there too that was very rough. The other place that was kind to me was just below the old logging bridge. I reckon there has been a lot of people there though but it still had a few pieces. The other hike to note was following the GPS coordinates on Minfile to find the 79 Hill (Oro) mine. [Charles A. Miller, The Golden Mountains, Chapter 3, “The 79 Hill Lode”]. I got to the area that matched the coordinates I had I guess from Google Earth but there was nothing that I could see. But it was very rugged and it could have been 20 feet from me and I would have passed it. It may also have been under snow. I was hitting snow at 800 meters in places and by 1000 meters it was regular. It is a pretty amazing area the Stave, I must say that I have more respect for those oldtimers
.

No comments: